Tooling and Fixtures Design EngineerApply Now
Salary: Market related
Location: Gaydon, Warwickshire
Job Type: Contract
Date Listed: 03 Jun 2021
Role: Tooling and Fixtures Design Engineer
Location: Gaydon – with the requirement to support other manufacturing sites across the Midlands.
Contract type: Ongoing contract
We are looking for Designers who come with a wealth of Design experience across the Automotive Build Process.
- This is a Jig & Fixture Design Engineer role within Manufacturing Engineering.
- Responsibilities will include the design of both Body in White (BIW) and Trim and Final (T&F) Assembly Fixtures.
- You will be responsible for the fixture design from kick off to design delivery and successfully physical fixture handover.
- You will be required to support the continual development of the department lessons learnt (Continual Improvement), and the continual development of Tooling and Design Standards
- You will be required to demonstrate a wide range of previous Assembly Fixture experiences.
- Engineering Design Skills and Locator Strategy knowledge
- Concept design and detailed design of Pallets
- 3D Detail Design and 2D Detail Drawing experience
- To Project Manage a Design Project with minimal Lead Engineer support
- To Co-ordinate and Manage Internal Customers and Suppliers (to provide data in a timely manner)
- To Drive Improvements into our Standards, Processes and Methods of working
- To Create and Update into our Standards, Processes and Methods of working
- To gain Customer Feedback, and drive that back into our working practices
Projects could include (but not limited to)
Body In White
- BIW Assembly Fixtures (Geometry and Non-Geometry)
- Grippers (Geo and Non-Geo)
- Transfer System End Effectors, Put Downs, Take-Outs
Trim & Final
- T&F Assembly Jigs and Fixtures (Geometry and Non-Geometry)
- Hand Tools
- Lift Assistor End Effectors
- Carrier End Effectors
- Chassis Engine and Decking area Tooling / Hand Tools / End Effectors
- Robotic Cells Tooling - Tooling / Grippers / End Effectors
- Ability to do Compatibility Assessments / Impact Assessments
- Working knowledge of Assembly and Part Locator Strategy Requirements
- 3D Tool Design Skills from Concept, through Detail to Detailing and Delivery
- Ability to generate and resolve Design Snags and Issues. Driving resolutions of issues and feeding back.
- 2D Manufacturing (Detailed) Drawing
- Buy Offs and Handover - to manage buy-off and hand-over of tooling designs with Customers and Tool room.
- Working knowledge of Assembly Tooling Standards and Pallet Designs
- To comply with and ensure that all data delivered is robust, meets expectations and is properly managed,
- Demonstrable Cost Engineering - cost & feasibility studies in support of engineering change proposals
- Ability to assess both internal and external designs with respect to total lifetime Value For Money Assessment (for Design, Industrialisation and Production).
- Ability to collaborate to produce (Collision Free) Tool Collision Studies.
- Vendor Tool Design Experience
- Pneumatic Controls Engineer
- Electrical Controls Engineer (E Plan)
- Experience of working on automotive Projects
- Knowledge of automotive Tooling Standards
- Static and Dynamic Load Calculation Assessment / FEA Analysis Experience (within Catia environment)
- Dynamic Load Analysis skills (within Catia environment)
- Ergonomic assessments for Pallets
- FEA Analysis skills.
- Basic RobCAD abilities (ability to load high level viewing of RobCAD files within the RobCAD environment)
- Catia v6 trained.