Steel Structures EngineerApply Now
Salary: £25 - 26 per hour
Location: Solihull, West Midlands
Job Type: Contract
Date Listed: 27 Jan 2021
Position: Steel Structures Engineer
Rate: £25.00 - £26.00 per hour
Hours: 40 Hours per Week
Responsible for engineering steel structures (static / dynamic) for use in the build halls in our automotive plants. The role includes Mechanical Design - responsible for the concept, design, calculation verification, customer acceptance, financial approval, detail drawing, supervision of manufacture and installation and finally to sign off the system and get it approved by the chartered engineer.
Project & Site Management
- Responsible, as part of the wider team, for the complete management from the initial concept, cost analysis, initial and detailed design (hardware & software), site setup, operational on-site management (R&MS, supervision, snagging, commissioning, and handover) and ongoing client liaison.
- Be a contributing stakeholder in the development of the Manufacturing Operating System for Project Management.
Manufacture & Installation
- Responsible for the Make vs Buy strategy for steel system manufacture (in-house or via a contractor) and site installation.
- Drive for internal manufacture and work with fabrication team to enable this. However also work with maintaining external supply routes for large orders or specialist orders.
- Work within the relevant codes of practice and legislation to get the systems approved and signed off for use.
- Minimum of 5-years demonstrable experience in engineering structures to meet the requirements above.
- Sound commercial acumen and cost awareness with the ability to add value and minimise cost.
- Capture the necessary documentation and so on to fulfil legislative requirements.
- Relevant previous experience of maintaining and installing production automation equipment.
- Experience of managing multi-skilled teams in multi-shift operations in both a Manufacturing/Maintenance as well as contractors/contract labour in a construction environment.
- Experience in managing external service providers.
- Proven experience of vehicle build and delivery processes and procedures.
- Thorough understanding of Engineering/Manufacturing Processes, Tools and Techniques.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the latest Regulatory and Statutory regulation, the likes of PUWER, LOLER and the H&S acts plus any EU/UK regulations
- Have followed a mechanical curriculum through to degree or certificate with 5-years experience post certification.
- Be a hands-on engineer who can demonstrate physical experience in installation and commissioning experience.
- Clear understanding of installation processes and safety regulations around steel.
- Experience in CE /UK CA marking of steel.
- Experience in the fabrication and provision of steel.
- Knowledge of the supply base for steel.
- Experience of acting as the Principal Contractor and a full understanding of the responsibilities under this role.
- Experience in working for or with a Line Builder to deliver complete automated lines Knowledge of Maintenance Management Systems