Senior Engineering Manager - MechanicalApply Now
Salary: Market related
Location: Solihull, West Midlands
Job Type: Contract
Date Listed: 10 Sep 2020
Senior Engineering Manager – Mechanical
Apex Recruitment is working with a Global Automotive OEM recruiting for the role of Senior Engineer Manager – Mechanical. This is an ongoing contract role.
The role is the ‘Chief Mechanical Engineer’ for Manufacturing Engineering and will be responsible for all aspects, of Mechanical Engineering, including the key functions of 1. Structural and other non-load bearing steelwork, 2. Conveyance, 3. HVAC, process water and other bulk delivery systems plus associated pipework, 4. Tooling
Responsible for the development of the overall Mechanical Engineering Strategy and its dissemination across all technologies within manufacturing, via the technology forums. The strategy will be developed to include, but not limited to: -
- Mechanical Design – Responsible for mechanical design of all moving and static structural and non-structural components including facilities and process provision both product and non-product but excluding the building fabric. Scoping and specifying HVAC and process service supply networks to deliver customer requirements. Designing, scoping, and specifying conveyance methods applied in automotive.
Incumbent will be responsible to develop and maintain a mechanical engineering design and validation strategy which complies with relevant national (or international) regulations and standards while being accountable for the ongoing monitoring of these regulations and adopting them into the business’s mechanical standard. Develop a method to clearly understand the customer requirement and document those as design inputs. These design standards and consequent engineering will cover fabrications, conveyance, HVAC and process water supply and tooling as well as ancillaries such as process aids, handling and so on across the entire manufacturing process.
- Project & Site Management – Responsible for the complete life cycle from the initial concept, cost analysis, initial and detailed design (hardware & software), site setup, operational on site management (R&MS, supervision, snagging, commissioning and handover) and ongoing client liaison. Note that the role works in close collaboration with the project integration team responsible for combining all the elements into a working whole.
Be a main stakeholder in the development of the Manufacturing Operating System for Project Management.
- Mechanical Manufacture & Installation – Responsible for the Make vs Buy strategy for all Mechanical systems in close collaboration with the workshop chief engineer, integration with electrical and controls provision, site installation and ongoing maintenance and reliability analysis.
- Mechanical Commissioning – Install and commission in line with design requirements as well as demonstrate compliance with regulation via appropriate testing through certified bodies or using in-house certification methods. Provide the necessary input into the CE (or other future UK regulatory practice) evidence book.
- Any 2 of the below 4 criteria are essential:
- Either >10 years management of general metalwork, fabrication and welding of mild steel, aluminium, brass and stainless steel of a scale used in the automotive industry including the ability to interpret and read workshop/design drawings and direct the design of the relevant components for cutting and folding in line with best practise manufacture.
- Or >10 years management of toolroom activities including material selection, procurement, preparation, machining, assembling, measuring and protection of tooling ranging from small handheld through to framing gate or chassis platens for example.
- Or > 10 years management of HVAC installations including provision of supply pipework and so on.
- Or >10 years’ experience in large scale conveyance projects including but not limited to floor and MEX mounted roller beds, HEMS and other types of trim conveyance, paint conveyance and ideally AGV’s and other flexible conveyance methods.
- >10 years of machinery used for general fabrication and machining (toolroom equipment)
- Relevant previous experience of maintaining and installing Production automation equipment.
- Working knowledge and experience of delivering safety metrics and the understanding safety systems applicable to plant & equipment.
- Relevant degree or equivalent experience preferred in either an electrical discipline.
- Demonstrable knowledge of Legislative and Industry Standards in Automotive
- Thorough Understanding and Application of Lean Tools and Techniques