Senior Design Engineer - ChassisApply Now
Salary: £50k - 60k per year
Location: Woking, Surrey
Job Type: Permanent
Date Listed: 01 Dec 2021
Senior Design Engineer – Chassis
Location: Woking, Surrey
Contract type: Permanent
Salary: £50,000 - £60,000
Senior Design Engineer within Chassis required to join a well-established company based in Woking on a permanent basis.
Our client is an automotive luxury brand, with a global reputation for bespoke restorations. Working with some of the most iconic designs using modern engineering this company is one of a kind and their attention to detail is second to none.
SENIOR DESIGN ENGINEER PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
- Design leadership for all aspects of Chassis across vehicle programmes (Suspension Steering Dampers Brakes Active Aerodynamic Mechanisms Powertrain Mounting).
SENIOR DESIGN ENGINEER PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Lead the design and development of components and systems to ensure optimised vehicle performance and delivery of vehicle attributes.
- Critically evaluate new technology opportunities for Chassis and attributes
- Determine strategy for platform design and engineering, in collaboration with engineering manager and subject matter experts
- Generate ideas and solutions to complex design problems or targets
- Component and system level packaging and concept studies
- Work in collaboration with the Project Engineers to identify and specify design activity
- Component and system design and detailing from prototype to production, to internal and external design standards including GD&T
- Capability to predict and manage work to project milestones and timing. Communicate progress and critical issues across the business.
- Check the content of designs for release against the specification, the data integrity of CAD geometry and resolution of digital build concerns prior to sign-off
- Be the point of contact for the rest of the design community for day-to-day engineering matters
- As a Senior Design Engineer, you will be leading opportunities to reduce complexity, cost and weight, process improvements
- Technical Specifications – Ensure the design of all components meets the related Technical Specifications
- DFMEA – input to DFMEA requirements and ensure a robust design satisfies these
- Engineering Release – Meet all defined engineering release dates. At engineering release all specifications will have been checked and met, weight and cost targets achieved, supplier DFM fully concurred, CAE output implemented, materials and finish defined, all fixings identified and positioned, and all outstanding issues are embodied and documented at the point of release
- Weight – The Design Engineer must ensure the design is weight efficient, weight targets are surpassed, and is documented accurately. This encompasses material selection and innovative design
- Materials – The Design Engineer should assist the Project Engineer in specifying and controlling the materials of each component to meet target, technical specifications and all legal and component DVP requirements
- Design for Manufacture and Assembly is a fundamental requirement of the Design Engineer role. They must have a demonstrable track record of working within a Design Team in harmony with suppliers
SENIOR DESIGN ENGINEER EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Mechanical or Automotive Engineering Degree
- Excellent CATIA V5 2D/3D skills.
- Demonstrated direct OEM Chassis design experience in Automotive industry.
- Excellent systems design and development knowledge.
- Experience in component release management and problem solving.
- Demonstrated experience in project management will be of benefit.
- Experience of high and niche vehicle (low volume) programmes.
- An ability to deliver under pressure with an appetite for measured success.