Project EngineerApply Now
Salary: Market related
Location: Woking, Surrey
Job Type: Contract
Date Listed: 26 Apr 2022
Project Engineer (Structures or Closures)
Location: Woking, hybrid working (3-days per week in the office)
Shift: Days – 45 hours per week
We have opportunities for Project Engineers, either within Structural Composites or Body Closures working for a specialist supercar / hyper car manufacturer based in Woking.
Structures - experience in structural composites, SMC and pre-preg. sheet metal experience desirable.
Closures - experience in closures BIW activities e.g., door, tailgate, bonnet. sheet metal, composite, and SMC experience desirable.
Purpose of the Project Engineer role:
- Reporting to the Principal/Senior Engineer, working on all aspects of Body Panels and Closures delivery on our future vehicle programmes and Incumbent vehicle programmes including Series Engineering.
- Working on a wide range of systems and components such as Body Panels, Closures (Bonnet, Doors, Tailgate), and other vehicle assemblies.
- “Cradle to Grave” approach – working within a cross functional team from R&D stage, through concept, design release, production launch and series production support to collectively deliver the whole vehicle specification targets and contribute to the overall business KPIs.
Principal accountabilities of the Project Engineer:
- Experience with setting gap and flush requirements for high performance, low volume production cars.
- Responsible to release designs that meet the following targets through coordination of internal and external design resources:
- Cost (Piece, Tooling, D&D)
- Performance (As specified through the full vehicle attributes and cascaded down to component level specification)
- Feasibility (supporting in house manufacturing or assembly processes as well as supplied components)
Responsible for Problem Solving:
- From problem avoidance at the early stages of new projects (Risk Assessments, FMEA, Lessons learnt) to practical problem solving at prototype stage and in series production.
Responsible for accurate reporting:
- Bill Of Materials management (part numbering, structuring, design change process)
- Weight management through correct management of the BOM
- Costs (including spend forecast, risks and opportunities)
- Project status reporting
- Responsible for authoring component and systems technical specifications.
- Support a cross-functional team including external suppliers network, quality, logistics, vehicle engineering and development, purchasing and manufacturing engineers
- Strong understanding of perceived quality to exceed our customers’ expectations
Knowledge, skills & experience of the Project Engineer:
- Engineering degree 2:1 or above
- Several years’ experience of automotive programmes preferably in Body and low volume/high performance sports cars.
- Knowledge of Carbon Fibre composites manufacturing technologies
- Knowledge of DFMEA and its application in automotive environment
- Knowledge of GD&T
- Literacy in CATIA V5 or V6, CDM or VPM and DMU tools
- Experience in problem solving
- Demonstrable commercial acumen
- Experience in project management. Knowledge of PM systems (e.g., PRINCE 2) would be advantageous
To show your interest in this role please Apply Now with a copy of your CV, should you be successfully shortlisted a member of our Team will contact you to discuss the role in more detail. All applications are treated in the strictest confidence.