Project Engineer - Closures SystemsApply Now
Salary: Market related
Location: Woking, Surrey
Job Type: Permanent
Date Listed: 19 Jul 2022
Project Engineer - Closures Systems
Shift: Days – 40 hours per week
As a Project Engineer - Closures Systems within the Body Exterior Closures team you will be able to push and develop your engineering capability, influencing future system design. With a direct impact on vehicle performance and perceived quality in the market, you will be expected to create and deliver innovative designs and ideas exceeding the current benchmark. This is a role that will push you to develop your engineering capability with a major influence on the overall product with direct input into the design of exterior closures systems and components such as latches, struts, handles, fuel, PHEV, and service covers, and hardware.
You will be confronted with technical challenges and will be responsible for attending meetings/reviews and addressing issues relevant to your commodity to best serve your customer groups such as Styling, SQA, Purchasing and Project Management teams as well as the end user, or customer. This role offers great exposure to other areas of the business and at various levels through and up to Executive Director level.
The duties and responsibilities of the Project Engineer - Closures Systems:
- You will be responsible for component design from concept through to part delivery, pushing the boundaries of manufacture processes and materials, where necessary, to create a truly cutting-edge product.
- Reporting directly to the Principal Engineer and supporting the cross functional project team ensuring design and engineering integrity to exceed performance, quality, and commercial targets.
- Providing technical feedback to the project cross functional teams, as well as being recognised as a subject matter expert within the body exterior function group.
- Utilising a clear, rigorous simultaneous engineering approach to develop right first-time design, whilst meeting the gateway engineering deliverables as defined in the company’s Development Process.
- Influence and actively participate in the selection of business partners, including suppliers
- Robust, logical problem-solving skills; including root cause analysis, generation of countermeasure proposals and selection using robust evaluation techniques.
- Ensure 24-hour containment for all body exterior build concerns, with development and delivery of permanent countermeasure if required.
The ideal experience for the Project Engineer - Closures Systems:
- Design and development experience on automotive products, ideally closures including sealing, window lift and door opening systems.
- Working knowledge of engineering materials used in closures systems
- Good understanding of latest Automotive manufacture processes, feasibility, and technology
- Robust understanding of the complete product lifecycle (concept -> delivery)
- Strong interpersonal skills – ability to communicate to all levels of the business including external partners
- CAD knowledge for assembly and part interrogation. Design experience advantageous.
- Good understanding of GD&T and tolerance analysis
- Knowledge of development tools, such as DFMEA and DVP.
- Knowledge and proven use of Problem-Solving Techniques
- Educated to Degree level in suitable Engineering discipline
The ideal Project Engineer - Closures Systems candidate:
- Self-motivated, well organised and delivery focused
- Conscientious approach to design, part performance and quality
- A good team worker who is driven to support their team to success, leading where necessary
- Proactive and logical approach to problem solving, working in a methodical manner.
- Ability to deliver in fast paced and dynamic environment and where necessary work extra hours.
- An engaging mind, open to new problems and challenges outside of normal comfort zone
To show your interest in the Project Engineer - Closures Systems role please Apply Now with a copy of your CV, should you be successfully shortlisted a member of our Team will contact you to discuss the role in more detail. All applications are treated in the strictest confidence.