Principle Mechanical Engineer - ConveyanceApply Now
Salary: Market related
Location: Solihull, West Midlands
Job Type: Contract
Date Listed: 25 Aug 2020
Principle Mechanical Engineer – Conveyance
Apex Recruitment is working with a Global Automotive OEM recruiting for the role of Principal Conveyance Engineer. This is an ongoing contract role.
The Principle Conveyance Engineer will be responsible for all aspect’s product or component related conveyance through the various production stages of automotive manufacture.
- Mechanical Design - Macro planning: planning of routes that will minimise costs and maximise efficiency. Work closely with the structural engineer to develop systems that provide the necessary conveyance in the shops. Develop standards for the various conveyance elements and source those either internally or externally based on business case. Benchmark these against external and internal benchmarks. Develop reliability models for the equipment and run continuous improvement. Seek to the simplest design to deliver the required customer requirement. Work with the workshop to select design elements that minimise cost. Seek to use appropriate materials to deliver the required function. Work with the Controls Group to develop controls interfaces for the conveyance elements. Work with layout and Facility Engineers to develop layouts and BIM models to support the integration on time. Work with customers like maintenance to develop maintainability aspects. Maintain design models for the equipment in a library.
- Manufacture - Work with internal and external manufacturing to make the equipment. Run customer acceptance events to confirm the equipment is to design. Run Make v Buy.
- Installation - Work with the installation experts to develop safe methods of installation; levelling and alignment requirements and commissioning methods.
- Project & Site Management - Work with the project manager to deliver the conveyance elements and integration into the project on time. Work with MoS lead to develop an operating system for this purpose.
- Mechanical Commissioning - Install and commission in line with design requirements as well as demonstrate compliance with regulation via appropriate testing through certified bodies or using in-house certification methods. Provide the necessary input into the CE (or other future UK regulatory practice) evidence book.
- Spares Strategy - Develop in conjunction with the wider ME team a spare parts strategy for the company. This may be via a third-party involvement or back to holding critical spares but must look to consolidate spares across the company.
- Maintenance Strategy - Working with the wider ME team develop a maintenance strategy.
- 5 years’ experience in this field in an automotive environment.
- Demonstrate track record of quality and health & safety and ensuring that standards and procedures are adhered to.
- Sound commercial acumen and cost awareness with the ability to add value and minimise cost.
- The ability to plan ahead, organise workload, work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Relevant previous experience of maintaining and installing Production automation equipment.
- Experience of managing multi-skilled teams in multi-shift operations in both a Manufacturing/Maintenance as well as contractors/contract labour in a construction environment.
- Experience in managing external service providers.
- Proven experience of vehicle build and delivery processes and procedures.
- Thorough understanding of Engineering/Manufacturing Processes, Tools and Techniques.
- Demonstrable and experience in the application of a logical approach to Problem Solving.
- Working knowledge and experience of delivering safety metrics and the understanding safety systems applicable to plant & equipment.
- Proven ability to work within tight deadlines & be able to manage and prioritise multiple activities simultaneously.
- Experience and working knowledge of Health and Safety and ergonomics including risk assessments.
- Ability to make short presentations to work groups and senior management
- Relevant degree or equivalent experience preferred in either an electrical discipline.
- Demonstrable knowledge of Legislative and Industry Standards in Automotive
- Microsoft package elements Power Point and Excel
- Thorough Understanding and Application of Lean Tools and Techniques
- Experience working in a fast-paced manufacturing environment
- Proven Project Management Experience