Principle Engineer - MachiningApply Now
Salary: Market related
Location: Solihull, West Midlands
Job Type: Contract
Date Listed: 01 Jul 2020
Principle Engineer – Machining
Apex Recruitment is working with a Global Automotive OEM recruiting for the role of Principal Engineer - Machining. This is an ongoing contract role.
The right candidate will have a strong background in machining and mechanical assembly and will be responsible for leading the machining elements of all work coming into the workshop – as well as designing the operating process and developing the skills and capability of the team in the workshop.
- Responsible for the assembly contribution to all work coming through the workshop.
- In addition to the interpretation of 2D & 3D drawings (including specifications, bills of material etc) and planning work through the shop there will be a need to accurately estimate costs and determine competitive lead times as well as forecasting requirements for resource, raw materials and equipment.
- In addition to acting as the assembly lead for work you will be responsible for laying down the necessary processes to allow the workshop to function as a stand-alone business unit.
- As part of the offering to the customer the role will require the workshop to offer a level of buy-off with the customer, from onsite testing prior to delivery to in-situ testing and inspection and all components and systems.
- With each job completed the workshop will further develop its capabilities and maintain a growing digital (CATIA based) commodity library of standard designs to allow for ‘off the shelf’ production and, where possible, to minimise design input from project to project and maximise incremental improvement opportunities from design to design.
- Build on current services offered such as maintenance requirements, repairs and modifications to existing equipment and facilities
- Contribute to the various Make vs Buy studies for all facilities and equipment to be brought inhouse.
- Maintain an open source approach to maximise our ability to leverage competition. Drive continuous improvement feedback to the design to simplify and reduce cost.
- Equipment Installation and Commissioning – Work with the Delivery teams from the various technologies to Install and commission in line with design requirements as well as demonstrate compliance with regulation via appropriate testing through certified bodies or using in-house certification methods. Provide the necessary input into the CE (or other future UK regulatory practice) evidence book.
- Maintenance Strategy - Working with the wider ME team develop a maintenance strategy and links with the CME teams in all manufacturing facilities.
- A ‘customer-first’ mindset and experience of all aspects of electrical engineering in an automotive equipment and facilities setting
Key skills required for the role:
- C&G 1271-03 in AME Machining (or equivalent)
- HNC in Mechanical Manufacturing Engineering
- Experience of CNC milling machines and centre lathes
- Knowledge of all welding & materials joining processes
- Experience of 3-axis and 5-axis machines for cutting, drilling, milling, boring, and turning
- Skilled use of grinding, punching, profiling (traditional and laser).
- Demonstrate a track record of quality and health & safety whilst ensuring that all local, national, and international standards and procedures are adhered to.
- Sound commercial acumen and cost awareness with the ability to add value and minimise cost.
- Relevant previous experience of maintaining workshop machinery and equipment.
- Thorough understanding of Engineering/Manufacturing Processes, Tools and Techniques.
- Working knowledge and experience of delivering safety metrics and the understanding safety systems applicable to all joining/fabricating equipment.
- Ability to deliver complex presentations to work groups and senior management
- Thorough Understanding and Application of Lean Tools and Techniques
- Proven Project Management Experience
- An individual who is results driven, demonstrates tenacity, drive, and perseverance, with the ability to deliver in a complex, highly demanding environment.
- An individual who can challenge existing thinking in a positive way whilst building credibility and trust through experience and personal style
- Knowledge of Maintenance Management Systems.
- NEBOSH in occupational H&S
- Experience of welding/fabricating and materials engineering