Principal Mechanical Engineer - StructuralApply Now
Salary: £32 - 33 per hour
Location: Solihull, West Midlands
Job Type: Contract
Date Listed: 03 Feb 2021
Apex Recruitment is working with a Global Automotive OEM recruiting for the role of Principal Structural Engineer. This is an ongoing contract role.
The Principal Structural Engineer will be responsible for all aspects of Structural and other non-load bearing steelwork engineering aligned to the scope of manufacturing engineering which is the entire process chain of a vehicle as well as some ancillary and support functions like product engineering. Structural engineers are primarily concerned with designing and manufacturing structures that are safe and meet the customer brief while being economical.
- Responsible for mechanical design of all moving and static structural and non-structural components including facilities and process provision both product or non-product but excluding the building fabric.
- Incumbent will be responsible to support the development and maintenance of a mechanical engineering design and validation strategy which complies with relevant national (or international) regulations and standards while being accountable for the ongoing monitoring of these regulations and adopting them into the mechanical standard. Include all elements of safety and performance related items.
- Develop a method to understand clearly the customer requirement and document those as design inputs including principal designer, standards for manufacture and installation, project and installation management commissioning and the ongoing maintenance strategy.
- Take into account BIM type activity to plan delivery to site, movement plans into position including safe lifting and so on, clash detection activities and later removal and replacement / service if required. Include maintenance related features such as inspection provision, lubrication provision and include for vibration and other condition-based techniques where cost effective.
- Seek to produce a digital (CATIA based) commodity library of standard designs to allow for ‘off the shelf’ where possible to minimise design input from project to project and maximise incremental improvement opportunities from design to design. Provide clear guidelines on safe manufacture and erection of large structures including testing (load, pressure etc) requirements for the installation and commissioning teams.
Project & Site Management
- Responsible for the complete life cycle from the initial concept, cost analysis, initial and detailed design (hardware & software), site setup, operational on-site management (R&MS, supervision, snagging, commissioning, and handover) and ongoing client liaison.
- Working closely with the project integration team and as a main stakeholder in the development of the Manufacturing Operating System for Project Management.
Mechanical Manufacture & Installation –
- Responsible for the Make vs Buy strategy for all Mechanical systems in close collaboration with the workshop chief engineer, integration with electrical and controls provision, site installation and ongoing maintenance and reliability analysis.
- Maintain an open-source approach to maximise our ability to leverage competition.
- Drive continuous improvement feedback to the design to simplify and reduce cost.
Mechanical Commissioning –
- Install and commission in line with design requirements as well as demonstrate compliance with regulation via appropriate testing through certified bodies or using in-house certification methods. Provide the necessary input into the CE (or other future UK regulatory practice) evidence book.
Spares Strategy –
- Develop in conjunction with the wider ME team a spare parts strategy for the company. This may be via a third-party involvement or back to holding critical spares but must look to consolidate spares across the company.
- 5- years’ experience in structural design work including: prepare, interpret, and read workshop/design drawings and direct the design of the relevant components for cutting and folding in line with best practise manufacture.
- A deep understanding of the joining techniques required.
- Demonstrated ability to develop the calculations necessary to deliver the structures to a safe standard.
- Selection of appropriate construction materials as well as the protection thereof.
- Demonstrate track record of quality and health & safety and ensuring that standards and procedures are adhered to.
- Sound commercial acumen and cost awareness with the ability to add value and minimise cost.
- Relevant previous experience of maintaining and installing Production Automation equipment.
- Experience of managing multi-skilled teams in multi-shift operations in both a Manufacturing/Maintenance as well as contractors/contract labour in a construction environment.
- Experience in managing external service providers.
- Thorough understanding of Engineering/Manufacturing Processes, Tools and Techniques.
- Demonstrable and experience in the application of a logical approach to Problem Solving.
- Experience and working knowledge of Health and Safety and ergonomics including risk assessments.
- Ability to make short presentations to work groups and senior management
- Thorough Understanding and Application of Lean Tools and Techniques
- Experience working in a fast-paced manufacturing environment
- Proven Project Management Experience