Principal Engineer - Controls & AutomationApply Now
Salary: £26 - 32 per hour
Location: Solihull, West Midlands
Job Type: Contract
Date Listed: 26 May 2021
Controls & Automation – Electrical Installation
Location: Solihull – required to travel across all JLR sites. This role will move to Castle Bromwich over the next 6 - 12 months.
Shift: Days – 40 hours
The role is the Principal Engineer responsible for Controls and Automation, equipment selection and specification, installation management & supervision and commissioning, covering all aspects from the control system architecture design, control panel distribution and cabling strategy, software design strategy through to installation standards and commissioning, project management and supervision of turnkey projects.
Responsible for the development of the Controls & Automation strategy and specification and its dissemination across all technologies within manufacturing, via the technology forums. The strategy will be developed to include, but not limited to: -
An appreciation of controls design and architecture to be able to read and understand designs to the point of being able to review, improve and sign-off systems for installation. You scope of responsibility will be from initial system architecture and overall PLC to PC/EMC management interface, through to enterprise and local distributed intelligence. You will oversee control panel design, low voltage control distribution and safety systems.
- Project Management
You will be providing quotations for controls projects and managing these projects from concept through to customer sign off and handover. You will be responsible for the delivery of these projects including, timings and budget delivery. You will oversee initial design, of both hardware and software, site setup, operational on-site management, and client liaison.
- Controls Experience
You will have a strong background in PLC controls specifically with Rockwell / Allen Bradley, but any experience of Siemens would also be beneficial. You will have experience of working to JLR/Ford DCP standards and ideally have experience of SCADA systems.
- Electrical Installation & Commissioning of Hardware
It is essential that you have experience of hardware electrical installation, seeing projects from initial concept stage through to commissioning, customer sign off and handover. This will include electrical testing and inspection to ensure all Controls & Automation Equipment is installed and commissioning to the appropriate regulations and industry standards. You will need an appreciation and understanding of Electrical Installation of controls equipment including controls distribution, safety systems and installation containment.
- Team Management
You will be tasked with building a team of capable engineers who can deliver these projects on-time in full and to budget. Your role will naturally evolve as the teams grows allowing you to manage the project effectively, develop wider business strategies and oversee each of these key areas.
- Controls experience working with Rockwell/Allen Bradley PLC’s ideally, but any experience of Siemens PLC would be advantageous,
- Experience working to DCP standards – ideally with JLR or Ford,
- Experience in Automation & Control systems including PLC and SCADA systems,
- Proven Project Management Experience
- An appreciation of Controls Design, Controls Architecture and can offer suggestions for areas of improvement,
- An appreciation and understanding of Electrical Installation of controls equipment including controls distribution, safety systems and installation containment,
- Experience of installation, validation, and commissioning of hardware,
- Knowledge of electrical test and inspection standards and the ability to define Electrical Standard specifications.
- Experience of acting as the Principal Contractor and a full understanding of the responsibilities under this role,
- Experience to design deliver and maintain Building Management Systems (BMS), outside of SCADA or Facmon,
- Relevant qualifications in an Electrical discipline,
- Experience in working for or with a line builder to deliver complete automated lines,
- Knowledge of Maintenance Management Systems,
- Thorough Understanding and Application of Lean Tools and Techniques
- Experience working in a fast-paced manufacturing environment,
- Demonstrable knowledge of Legislative and Industry Standards in Automotive.