Principal Conveyance EngineerApply Now
Salary: £32 - 33 per hour
Location: West Midlands, West Midlands
Job Type: Contract
Date Listed: 17 Aug 2020
Role: Principal Conveyance Engineer
Location: Solihull & Warwickshire
Contract type: Ongoing contract
Salary: £32 - £33 per hour
You will be responsible for all aspects of product or component related conveyance through the various production stages of automotive manufacture.
Duties & responsibilities:
- Responsible for the design of the full conveyance system including structural support steelwork, conveyance steelwork, drive, chain systems, product carriers, power distribution, tensioning and lubrication systems where applicable. The full system integration and controls strategy. This also includes conveyance methods such as AGV and future technologies.
- Macro planning: planning of routes that will minimise costs and maximise efficiency. Work closely with the structural engineer to develop systems that provide the necessary conveyance in the shops. Develop standards for the various conveyance elements and source those either internally or externally based on business case. Benchmark these against external and internal benchmarks. Develop reliability models for the equipment and run continuous improvement. Seek to the simplest design to deliver the required customer requirement. Work with the workshop to select design elements that minimise cost. Seek to use appropriate materials to deliver the required function. Work with the Controls Group to develop controls interfaces for the conveyance elements. Work with layout and Facility Engineers to develop layouts and BIM models to support the integration on time. Work with customers like maintenance to develop maintainability aspects. Maintain design models for the equipment in a library.
- Play a key role in helping develop a Conveyance design and validation strategy, compliant of all regulatory and statutory requirements which will form a Conveyance Standard.
- Project & Site Management – Responsible, as part of the wider team, for the complete management from the initial concept, cost analysis, initial and detailed design (hardware & software), site setup, operational on-site management (R&MS, supervision, snagging, commissioning and handover) and ongoing client liaison
- Be a contributing stakeholder in the development of the Manufacturing Operating System for Project Management. This is the standard operating system of how we project manage projects, including approach, procedures, how we manage timing, contractors, the design, manufacture, installation, commissioning, and handover phases.
- Manufacture & Installation – Responsible for the Make vs Buy strategy for all Conveyance system manufacture (in-house or via a contractor), site installation
- Define in the Conveyance Strategy our approach to make vs buy, particularly to AGV and future technologies. Define what Conveyance systems/control systems we will use for what, how this will remain open to drive competitiveness and not lock us in to any one supplier. Define clear standards that make our systems competitive and not over engineered but equally resilient to achieve the required uptime availability.
- Commissioning – Responsible for the Conveyance system testing and commissioning to achieve the customer requirements for SQDCPE, MTR/MTF as well as all appropriate regulation / standard, completing with the fully detailed CE fie to enable marking.
- Care should be taken to ensure we are fully compliant from all regulatory and statutory regulations at all time
Qualifications, Skills & Experience required:
- Comprehensive knowledge of the latest Regulatory and Statutory regulation, the likes of PUWER, LOLER and the H&S acts plus any EU/UK regulations
- Have followed a mechanical curriculum through to degree or certificate with 5-years’ experience post certification.
- Be a hands-on engineer who can demonstrate physical experience in installation and commissioning experience.
- Demonstrable experience in Conveyance, the design, installation, and commissioning of such systems which must include systems such as power and free, EMS, slat, overhead and floor, roller beds and belt conveyor system.
- Sound commercial acumen and cost awareness with the ability to add value and minimise cost.
- The ability to plan ahead, organise workload, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Experience in CE marking of Design and Product Experience in AGV technology.
- Experience in structural design, calculations and installation.
- Experience of acting as the Principal Contractor and a full understanding of the responsibilities under this role.