Mechanical EngineerApply Now
Salary: £26 - 27 per hour
Location: Solihull, West Midlands
Job Type: Contract
Date Listed: 03 Feb 2021
Role: Mechanical Engineer
Contract type: Ongoing contract
- The role is the mechanical engineer for Manufacturing Engineering and will be responsible for designing mechanical solutions to the challenges presented in our automotive plants.
- Typically, these will be embedded within systems including electrical and controls layers.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Mechanical Design - Responsible for the design of the mechanical systems deployed into automotive manufacturing facilities including but not limited to lifting machines, joining equipment, pantographic handlers, turn tables, articulated tooling, hydraulically actuated equipment such as punches, guarding/moving guarding designs, automotive rigs.
- Play a key role in helping develop a Mechanical design and validation strategy, compliant of all regulatory and statutory requirements which will form a Mechanical Standard for our client. Include all elements of safety and performance related items. These include: Principal designer (including machinery directive and other CE marking requirements), standards for manufacture and installation as well as site setup, project and installation management, commissioning, client acceptance (Can We Make - CWM) and the ongoing maintenance strategy.
- Play your part in the total cost ownership of energy consumption across all sites and generate year on year plans to drive down energy costs.
- Project & Site Management – Responsible, as part of the wider team, for the complete management from the initial concept, cost analysis, initial and detailed design (hardware & software), site setup, operational on-site management (R&MS, supervision, snagging, commissioning, and handover) and ongoing client liaison
- Be a contributing stakeholder in the development of the Manufacturing Operating System for Project Management. This is the standard operating system of how we project manage projects, including approach, procedures, how we manage timing, contractors, the design, manufacture, installation, commissioning, and handover phases.
- Manufacture & Installation – Responsible for the Make vs Buy strategy for all Conveyance system manufacture (in-house or via a contractor), site installation.
- Commissioning – Responsible for the system testing and commissioning to achieve the customer requirements for SQDCPE, MTR/MTF as well as all appropriate regulation / standard, completing with the fully detailed CE file to enable marking.
Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of 5-years demonstrable experience in mechanical design, installation, and commissioning of mechanical systems.
- Relevant previous experience of maintaining and installing Production automation equipment.
- Experience of managing multi-skilled teams in multi-shift operations in both a Manufacturing/Maintenance as well as contractors/contract labour in a construction environment.
- Experience in managing external service providers.
- Proven experience of vehicle builds and delivery processes and procedures.
- Thorough understanding of Engineering/Manufacturing Processes, Tools and Techniques.
- Working knowledge and experience of delivering safety metrics and the understanding safety systems applicable to plant & equipment.
- Proven ability to work within tight deadlines & be able to manage and prioritise multiple activities simultaneously.
- Experience and working knowledge of Health and Safety and ergonomics including risk assessments.
- Ability to make short presentations to work groups and senior management.
- Relevant degree or equivalent experience preferred in a mechanical discipline.
- Demonstrable knowledge of Legislative and Industry Standards in Automotive
- Thorough Understanding and Application of Lean Tools and Techniques
- Experience working in a fast-paced manufacturing environment.
- Proven Project Management Experience
- Mechanical design skills in CAD (AutoCAD and inventor) with ability to detail out for manufacture.
- Application of design risk assessment and working knowledge of relevant regulations.
- Have followed a mechanical curriculum through to degree or certificate with 5-years’ experience post certification.
- Be a hands-on engineer who can demonstrate physical experience in installation and commissioning experience.
- Flexibility to be able to operate across all client locations which on some occasions may result in significant time (several weeks) overseas or away from home.
- Experience in CE marking of Design and Product.
- Experience in structural design, calculations, and installation
- Experience in controls.
- Experience of acting as the Principal Contractor and a full understanding of the responsibilities under this role.
- Experience in working for or with a Line Builder to deliver complete automated lines.
- Knowledge of Maintenance Management Systems