Mechanical DraughtsmanApply Now
Salary: £22 - 23 per hour
Location: Solihull, West Midlands
Job Type: Contract
Date Listed: 03 Feb 2021
Role: Mechanical Draughtsman
Contract type: Ongoing contract
Rate: £22.00-£23.00 per hour
Preparing both rough sketches and detailed work with CAD systems. Performing calculations for materials and weight limitations. Communicating with engineers, and incorporating knowledge gained into drawings. Preparing, reviewing and re-draughting alongside the engineering team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for drawing up from blank sheet or from sketch prepared by the engineer or principal engineer to meet requirements. Meets JLR drawing standards. Fluent in AutoCAD and inventor.
- Able to perform calculations to verify designs are compliant with regulation relevant to the machine being designed. Experienced in design risk assessment.
- Scope is all mechanical – structural, HVAC, conveyor and mechanical/mechatronic.
- Creates itemised BoM with cost and weight where applicable (excel).
- Coordinates with toolrooms for design for manufacture / assembly.
- Follows up seeking quality or cost improvements.
- Able to work within design libraries and filing systems to protect IP.
- Supports creation of patent applications where applicable.
- Communicates well – verbal, written (e-mail or presentation)
Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of 2-years demonstrable experience in this sort of role
- Sound mechanical engineering foundation ideally in automotive.
- Able to work in CAD systems.
- Able to work in data filing systems.
- Good communicator.
- Demonstrable knowledge of Legislative and Industry Standards in Automotive
- Microsoft package elements Power Point and Excel
- Thorough Understanding and Application of Lean Tools and Techniques
- Experience working in a fast-paced manufacturing environment
- Over 2-years’ experience in designing mechanical systems in CAD
- Experience in an automotive environment
- Sound knowledge of regulation required to support CE/UKCA – includes generating design risk assessments or at least supporting the development of them.
- Flexibility to be able to operate across multiple locations, which on some occasions may result in significant time (several weeks) overseas or away from home
- Workshop experience.
- Experience in working for or with a line builder to deliver complete automated lines
- Tool room, machining and fitting expertise
- Knowledge of Maintenance Management Systems