Lead Engineer/Component and SystemsApply Now
Salary: Market related
Location: Gaydon, Warwickshire
Job Type: Permanent
Date Listed: 18 Jul 2018
We are recruiting for a world leading, automotive company where career development opportunities are unparalleled. Their growth over the past 5 years has been unmatched and this growth shows no sign of slowing. They are continuing to invest, expand and develop new and exciting products. They are now seeking to increase their permanent head count, and this is where you fit in.
The role of Lead Engineer/Component and Systems is integral to ensuring that their customers continue to receive an exceptional driving experience.
The role in a nutshell:
- To engineer Electric Power Assisted Steering (EPAS) and/or Rear Wheel Steering (RWS). The purpose of this role is to coordinate the design, development, testing and introduction of software and functionality (software can have sourced from both the first-tier supplier and created in house).
- Operating in a cross-functional organisation, Lead Engineers will report into the relevant Group Leaders and, where delivering on specific vehicle programmes, have an additional matrix report into Programme/Module Leaders.
- The role requires the individual to lead the technical delivery in close co-operation with the supplier and client system interfaces, also to develop the commodity plan and ensure delivery to required quality, cost and time.
What you will be doing:
- Suspension. Engine mounts. Wheels and tyres. To provide an exceptional driving experience, every chassis component needs be honed to perfection. That takes all kinds of people, from designers to project managers.
- As the Steering Integration Engineer in our Steering Wheels and Tyres (SWaT) team, you'll coordinate the design, development, testing and introduction of software and functionality. Working cross-functionally within the business and with suppliers, you'll lead the technical delivery and develop software integration plans to ensure delivery against required cost, quality and time while supporting the lead component engineers.
- You'll own and deliver software engineering Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) deliverables, manage relevant supplier teams in support of the delivery of the programme milestones and manage vehicle test plans including details planning of test and development stages through to sign off, while supporting the test teams with rectification issues.
- Deliver the EPAS/RWS Software Integration plan to quality, cost and time, including supporting the Lead Component Engineer with WERS input information.
- Work with In Vehicle Software Programmes (e.g. VECTOR CANALYZER, INCA and other supplier tools etc) to work in vehicle with software, validating functionality and diagnosing/fixing issues.
- Own and deliver the Software Engineering Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) deliverables
- Manage Change Request, expenditure forecasting and the relevant supplier teams in support of delivery of the programme milestones
- Manage vehicle test plans, including detailed planning of test and development stages through to sign off and support Engineering test teams with rectification of issues.
- Work closely with vehicle attribute teams and the supplier to develop software functionality and calibrations to achieve targets
- Ensure all appropriate client standards are met through-out software releasing activities
- Provide input into new feature developments
- Keep all Module documentation up to date including:
- Meeting minutes
- Integration point plans
- Vehicle test plans
- Vehicle Engineers
- Group Leader
- Module Leaders (where delivering specific programmes)
- Chassis Electronics Engineers
- Functional Safety Engineers
- Lead Component Engineers
- Senior Buyers
- Supplier Technical Assurance
- External Suppliers
What we expect from you:
- As an experienced Software Integration engineer, you'll demonstrate the ability to author and verify EPAS functionality specification documents, operate CAN tools to interrogate vehicle networks and plan software delivery and testing in detail.
- You'll have experience in software integration ideally within an automotive environment and ideally have a working knowledge of EPAS principles.
- You'll have previous experience in project management, be highly organised and be confident in challenging cross-functionally at all levels within the business and the partner organisation.
- A full valid driving licence is essential
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Ability to author and verify EPAS/RWS functionality specification documents to ensure that the EPAS/RWS system delivered by the supplier will meet requirements
- Ability to operate CAN tools to interrogate vehicle networks, read logs and use the data to confirm functionality or solve problems
- Ability to plan in detail software delivery and testing
- Ability to manage the workload contribution from the supplier and the supporting client team members
- Ability to perform testing on vehicles at a range of locations (predominantly Gaydon), report on results and resolve issues.
- Experience of client processes including WERS releasing, AIM, APQP, FMEA, RMDV
- Recognised advanced driver training qualifications.
- Knowledge of functional safety, ISO 26262, ADAS feature developments.
- Understanding of software development processes and software authoring in an automotive context.
- A passion for the automotive industry and the potential of automotive technology
- Strong project management capabilities with the ability to multitask
- Comfortable challenging cross-functionally and at a variety of levels within the business
- Resilient and enthusiastic, an individual able to deliver results under pressure, whilst responding constructively to new ideas and inputs
- Capable of a hand on approach to investigating and diagnosing vehicle integration issues with software.
- A dynamic and determined individual, highly driven, committed and results-orientated with significant pace, energy and confidence. Able to combine a short term, pragmatic focus with strategic vision
- Able to deliver quality and consistency in a complex, highly demanding environment with a range of expectations on what customer-focussed solutions might look like
What to expect from us:
- Bring all this to the home of premium innovation, and you'll find the opportunities to further your career with a world-class team, a discounted car purchase and lease scheme for you and your family, membership of a competitive pension plan, and performance related bonus scheme.