HVAC & Pipework EngineerApply Now
Salary: £27 - 28 per hour
Location: Solihull, West Midlands
Job Type: Contract
Date Listed: 11 Mar 2021
Role: HVAC & Pipework Engineer
Contract type: Ongoing contract
Hourly Rate: £27-£28 per hour
The role is the Engineer responsible for HVAC & Pipework design, equipment selection and specification, installation management & supervision and commissioning, covering all aspects of building services, heating ventilation, and air-conditioning as well as pipework distribution systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsible for the development of the of building services, heating ventilation and air-conditioning as well as pipework distribution systems strategy and specification and its dissemination across all technologies within manufacturing, via the technology forums. The strategy will be developed to include, but not limited to: -
System Design –
- Responsible for the design of the building services, heating ventilation and air-conditioning as well as pipework distribution systems. This would include all forms of heating and ventilation (Air handling equipment, AC units, boilers and DHW), cooling systems (chillers, dry coolers, etc) with associated distribution pipework.
- Play a key role in helping develop a Mechanical services design and validation strategy, compliant of all regulatory and statutory requirements which will form a Mechanical Standard. Include all elements of safety and performance related items. These include: Principal designer, standards for manufacture and installation as well as site setup, project and installation management, commissioning, client acceptance (Can We Make - CWM) and the ongoing maintenance strategy. Play your part in the total cost ownership of energy consumption across all sites and generate year on year plans to drive down energy costs
Project & Site Management –
- Responsible, as part of the wider team, for the complete management from the initial concept, cost analysis, initial and detailed design (hardware & software), site setup, operational on-site management (R&MS, supervision, snagging, commissioning and handover) and ongoing client liaison
- Be a contributing stakeholder in the development of the Manufacturing Operating System for Project Management. This is the standard operating system of how we project manage projects, including approach, procedures, how we manage timing, contractors, the design, manufacture, installation, commissioning and handover phases
Mechanical Manufacture & Installation –
- Responsible for the Make vs Buy strategy for all of building services, heating ventilation and air-conditioning as well as pipework distribution systems.
- Define in the Mechanical Engineering Strategy our approach to make vs buy, particularly to of building services, heating ventilation and air-conditioning as well as pipework distribution systems. What will we insource and what will we buy externally. Define what mechanical systems we will use for what, how this will remain open to drive competitiveness and not lock us in to any one supplier. Define clear standards that make our systems competitive and not over engineered but equally resilient to achieve the required uptime availability
Mechanical Commissioning –
- Responsible for the Mechanical testing and commissioning of all of building services, heating ventilation and air-conditioning as well as pipework distribution systems (to the appropriate regulation / standard) as well as the commissioning
- Review & Define the current mechanical test and inspection standards and ensure they are compliant and fully implemented across the manufacturing sites. Review and define the Mechanical Standards specifications to ensure they are fit for purpose and meet the requirements of the overall ME strategy and the business requirements. Care should be taken to ensure we are fully compliant from all regulatory and statutory regulations at all times
Spares Strategy –
- Develop in conjunction with the wider ME team a spare parts strategy for the company. This may be via a third-party involvement or back to holding critical spares but must look to consolidate spares across the company
Maintenance Strategy –
- Working with the wider ME team develop a maintenance strategy
- Innovation and New Technology, bench marking, industry trends and latest applications
- Create a team that is dynamic and flexible to grow to the company’s needs
Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of 2-years demonstrable experience in building services, heating ventilation and air-conditioning as well as pipework distribution systems (especially compressed air). This is to include the design, installation and commissioning of such systems.
- Experience of managing multi-skilled teams in multi-shift operations in both a Manufacturing/Maintenance as well as contractors/contract labour in a construction environment
- Experience in managing external service providers
- Demonstrable and experience in the application of a logical approach to Problem Solving
- Working knowledge and experience of delivering safety metrics and the understanding safety systems applicable to plant & equipment / industrial environment
- Proven ability to work within tight deadlines & be able to manage and prioritise multiple activities simultaneously
- Experience and working knowledge of Health and Safety and ergonomics including risk assessments
- Comprehensive knowledge of the latest mechanical and building services regulatory and statutory regulations.
- Over 2-years’ experience in designing building services, heating ventilation and air-conditioning as well as pipework distribution systems.
- Over 2 years’ experience in the commissioning of building services, heating ventilation and air-conditioning as well as pipework distribution systems. This is to include mechanical air and water balancing and the documentation.