HVAC & Electric Drive Cooling Systems EngineerApply Now
Salary: Market related
Location: Woking, Surrey
Job Type: Permanent
Date Listed: 11 Apr 2022
HVAC & Electric Drive Cooling Systems Engineer
Shift: Days – 40 hours per week
We are looking for a HVAC & Electric Drive Cooling Systems Engineer to join the Aerothermal team.
Working within the Aerothermal team, we are looking for people who are as passionate as we are for product performance. You will be part of a team that foster an innovative and collaborative environment, of diverse backgrounds, talents, and experience.
You will be responsible for the development of our road car HVAC Systems using a combination of 1D simulation, CFD, rig and vehicle testing to analyse requirements, define functional specification and complete calibration of HVAC climate control system.
Alongside this you will be responsible for future development of our Electric Drive Cooling Systems within Hybrid / BEV vehicles, considering the AC loop integration use in both cabin and battery conditioning.
You will also apply continuous improvement methods to support the development of our simulation and testing methodologies and design tool correlation, to aid concurrent engineering of our highly integrated road cars.
The duties and responsibilities of the HVAC & Electric Drive Cooling Systems Engineer:
- Project lead for HVAC Systems responsible for target setting, functional specification, and programme sign-off while meeting attribute, programme timing and investment targets
- Use a mixture of 1D simulation, CFD, rig and vehicle testing methods to analyse and design the vehicles HVAC and Electric Drive Cooling Systems to meet attribute targets for passenger comfort, screen defrost and cooling
- Lead cross functional teams within a matrix organisation, to ensure system level design and validation across the HVAC and Electric Drive Cooing System dependencies
- Define HVAC software control strategy and perform development testing to complete climate control calibration and certification
- Communicate system design progress and critical issues to programme management and the Chief Engineer, leading Attribute, Styling, and Design reviews ensuring HVAC targets are met
- Define attribute DVP and work in continual collaboration with Vehicle Development and the Vehicle Validation Coordinator to plan and ensure delivery of DVP activities
- Subject matter expert for passenger thermal comfort, providing leadership in HVAC systems and control strategies (i.e., thermal comfort models, metabolic rate, solar loading, humidity, air distribution and velocity, refrigerant circuits)
- Support the continual development of the Aerothermal testing methodologies (CFD, 1-D simulation, vehicle testing etc) to reduce development time and cost, improve test data accuracy and correlation of our design tools
The ideal HVAC & Electric Drive Cooling Systems Engineer:
- First-rate Mechanical Engineering or Science degree
- 3+ years’ experience working within a HVAC and/or Cooling Systems role
- Experience in HVAC design within a BEV architecture
- Strong understanding of heat transfer and fluid mechanic fundamentals
- Proven analytical abilities with 1D systems modelling – MATLAB, Simulink or Amesim
- Experience in CFD simulation and techniques – STARCCM+
- Experience in refrigerant circuit and climate control testing with an understanding of measurement and calibration methods – CANape
- Experience in freeform surfacing an advantage – CATIA V5 preferred
- Quantitative rigor and an inquisitive outlook to prove design solutions
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Independent and intrinsically self-motivated
To show your interest in the HVAC & Electric Drive Cooling Systems Engineer role please Apply Now with a copy of your CV, should you be successfully shortlisted a member of our Team will contact you to discuss the role in more detail. All applications are treated in the strictest confidence.