Driveline Senior EngineerApply Now
Salary: Market related
Location: Woking, Surrey
Job Type: Permanent
Date Listed: 14 Jul 2022
Driveline Senior Engineer
Shift: Days – 40 hours per week
Reporting to the Principal Engineer in Transmission & Driveline, the Driveline Senior Engineer will be working to develop, engineer, integrate & deliver, from concept to series-development.
Driveline Components will include (DLDs/DMF, K0 Clutch, Driveshafts, etc.), ensuring delivery of the programme requirements (cost, timing, performance / function / attributes).
They should have a “Cradle to Grave” approach – working within a cross functional team from R&D stage, through concept, design release, production launch and series production support to collectively deliver the whole vehicle specification targets.
Day-to-day activities will predominantly include:
- Ownership of technical component specifications, including specifying integration requirements,
- DFMEA – evaluation the risk of design,
- DVP – how can we test to validate our designs,
- A resolving issues that arise from the above.
The duties and responsibilities of the Transmission & Driveline Senior Engineer:
- Ownership and delivery of all driveline components
- Support to driveline component modelling, simulation, and analysis (where required)
- Supplier management of all driveline components
- Responsible for the creation and delivery of complex driveline systems that will deliver to the attribute targets.
- Guarantee driveline component integration and delivery to all vehicle projects– to specification, on time and on budget.
- Understands and supports the package constraints for driveline components.
- Working with the Propulsion design team, driveline component suppliers, concept teams & DMU to ensure the driveline components meet technical and package targets and to deliver detailed designs on time to predetermined quality, cost, and weight targets, within DFM requirements
- Establish links with external organisations (such as universities, research organisations, etc.) on collaborative research projects that will help deliver innovation in driveline technologies where appropriate.
- Working within, and influencing, the Vehicle Programme & Engineering Management teams to guarantee that the Propulsion department responsibilities collectively deliver the whole vehicle specification targets.
- Ensure design solutions deliver systems that meet attribute targets in NVH, thermal, durability, visibility & performance related attributes.
- Working with Supply Chain Management to ensure delivery of driveline components are on schedule for all phases of prototype, pilot, pre-production, and production build.
- Preparation and presentation of material to support external and internal project status reviews
- Provide support on driveline component technical risk management to ensure project delivery, optimised vehicle performance and delivery of Propulsion system attributes.
- Guarantee driveline component ownership and delivery to the specific vehicle programme requirements including:
- Component Specification which specifies integration requirements for driveline components
- Support management of driveline component development budgets & expenditure
- Planning, timing & delivery including design, release, ECR in line with ETRS requirements, development, and validation plans
- BOM management & tracking
- Robust concerns resolution
- Delivery of driveline components in line with MDP (Development Process)
The ideal experience for the Transmission & Driveline Senior Engineer:
- Detailed driveline knowledge and technical experience
- Attribute delivery/support
- Managing design releases
- Authoring specifications
- Generating & tracking DVPs
- Authoring DFMEAs
- Issue containment & resolution process (8D Practical Problem Solving)
- DFM plans at a vehicle level
- Experience in OEM or tier one component delivery
- Technical knowledge & experience of transmission & driveline design, test & production
- Strong GD&T application experience
- Component & system design within an APQP or similar framework including FMEA, component planning and PPAP
- Understanding of Functional Safety relevant to transmission and driveline systems
- Experience in component release management
- Experience of high and niche vehicle (low volume) programmes
- PC literate and at ease with MS Office products.
- CAD design skills (2D and 3D authoring), preferably with CATIA V5, is advantageous
- Experience in NVH analysis and measurements is advantageous
The ideal Transmission & Driveline Senior Engineer candidate:
- A passion for high performance powertrain engineering.
- 5 years (or more) automotive design and development experience
- Good team skills, willingness to work cross-functionally with excellent communication skills.
- Adopts a creative & thoughtful approach to concept design and solving engineering problems with good attention to detail.
- Excellent feasibility assessment skills including design for manufacture and DFMEA input
- A positive, proactive attitude with a high level of self-motivation to deliver excellence.
- An engaging mind, open to new problems outside their normal comfort zone.
- Well organised and delivery focused – with demonstrable track record of on-time delivery.
- A willingness to engage in debate and discussion.
- Empathy, a willingness to listen and see others’ points of view.
- Ability to communicate clearly with design and development groups
- Excellent communicator and ability to interact in a small, focused team
- An ability to deliver under pressure with an appetite for measured success
- Capable of representing a world class automotive brand
To show your interest in the Transmission & Driveline Senior Engineer role please Apply Now with a copy of your CV, should you be successfully shortlisted a member of our Team will contact you to discuss the role in more detail. All applications are treated in the strictest confidence.