DevOps EngineerApply Now
Salary: £35k per year
Location: Essex, Essex
Job Type: Permanent
Date Listed: 07 Sep 2018
Reference: 4161 - Apex TL
About the company:
Our client is an established Software Company headquartered in the UK with additional offices in Poland and the US; the position advertised will be based from our UK offices in Essex from where we service several our globally recognised clients.
Our client is looking for an individual with an inquiring mind. They welcome anyone with the creativity to help design and develop new tooling to enhance the functionality of our applications.
What you will be doing:
- Support availability, security and stability of environments, facilitates environment data requirements, coordinates between the delivery workstream and 3rd parties to facilitate development and releases
- Define a monitoring framework and continuously monitor the entire infrastructure for preventive actions
- Follows best practice to ensure the security of our environments
- Support all levels of our environments (pre-live and live estate)
- Facilitate data requirements across all environments
- Helps with the integration of external applications and dependencies.
- Help to define and maintain a continuous integration and continuous delivery framework
- Analysis of current capacity and future growth to feed into Cognitran Infrastructure capacity planning
- Keeps abreast of new technologies and techniques in the environment management realm and actively promotes improvements to our tools and processes
What we expect from you:
- 2-3 years commercial experience as a Devops Engineer
- You will be degree educated in Computer Science or be able to show equivalent experience.
- Strong track-record of working with CI/CD in a scaled Agile environment
- Clustering and load balancing knowledge
- Ability to work with development teams to diagnose incidents and problems
- Docker orchestration experience
- Keeps up to date on the latest industry trends and openly shares thoughts on standards/tools/technologies/trends for environments management
- Linux server administration
- Git, Docker, Jira, Slack, Jenkins, AWS, Azure, Jenkins, New Relic / Dynatrace, Apache
- Problem solving using system and application logs
- Process automation
- Competent with Bash, Python and basic understanding of Java
- Strong presentation and communication skills that allow you to translate technical information effectively to non-technical audiences at a variety of organisational levels
- Driven by a desire to solve complex design challenges using both logical and creative approaches
As discussed, here is a bit more information about the DevOps role as I know they can vary across the board.
At the moment, we have an architect who goes to the client site one or two days a week. The hope is that we find someone who can DevOps on a fulltime basis so the architect can concentrate on R&D.
The client's concept of DevOps is fairly loose at the moment. The new DevOps will be assisting them with the configuration and improvements in configuration, QA deployment, and upgrades of infrastructure. Ford were a bit slow getting things started and have recently upgraded to Apache 2.4. The DevOps person will also be assisting with Bash Scripting and seeing how they can improve their processes and how they can be automated. They'll be making sure that things are consistent as previously, it was a bit hit and miss as to whether each server was running on the same configuration.
Would be good for this candidate to have a good working knowledge of JBoss, Apache, Emap, and Github and also what capabilities Jenkins has but not necessarily much experience in Jenkins.
As far as Devops is concerned, it can lead to dev or ops side but you always have a skillset that goes into the other side of it. The dev team is strongly development and they don't have a great deal of operations experience. This role will be about a 60/40 split between Ops and Java.
As I mentioned on the phone, we would also consider someone on a higher salary for this role.