Design Engineer - Electric Drive Systems and HV CablingApply Now
Salary: Market related
Location: Woking, Surrey
Job Type: Permanent
Date Listed: 14 Jul 2022
Design Engineer – Electric Drive Systems and HV Cabling
Shift: Days – 40 hours per week
The Design Engineer – Electric Drive Systems & HV Cabling will be responsible for packaging, detailed design & release of EDT components (Inverter, DCDC convertor, Charger, HV Harnesses, bracketry and associated cooling systems) on all vehicle projects, from concept to production ensuring the design supports system technical specifications.
- Programme specific EDT conceptual and detail design including routing, package studies, supporting design releases and 2D drafting.
- Supporting vehicle integration design reviews and supporting EDT design reviews.
- Ownership of design and delivery of High Voltage cable systems
The duties and responsibilities of the Design Engineer – Electric Drive Systems and HV Cabling:
- Work alongside Energy Storage Systems (ESS) and EDT project engineers to package EDT components on new powertrain architecture and installations, progressing concepts through to executing detailed designs for prototype and production release and manufacture.
- Create CAD models and assemblies utilising best practice surfacing, solid modelling, and harness routing techniques.
- Understand and support the package constraints for the EDT system. Working with EDT suppliers, Concept teams & Digital Mock-Up team (DMU) to ensure programme specific technical and package targets are met and to deliver detailed designs on time to predetermined quality, cost, and weight targets, within DFM requirements.
- Support links with external organisations such as universities, research organisations, etc. on collaborative research projects that will help deliver innovation in EDT technologies where appropriate.
- Work with the other designers and the EDT supplier to achieve efficient, innovative, and lightweight designs.
- Ensure design solutions deliver systems that meet attribute targets in NVH, thermal, durability, visibility & performance related attributes (power, emissions, and response).
- Ensure the EDT components interface seamlessly to the wider car including structural interfaces, Wiring Body Harness, Cooling components & body panels.
- Preparation and presentation of material to support external and internal project status reviews.
- Provide support on EDT technical risk management to ensure project delivery, optimised vehicle performance and delivery of hybrid system attributes.
- Guarantee EDT delivery to the specific vehicle programme requirements including:
- Support Hybrid System FMEA, System and EDT components DVP.
- Support EDT planning, timing & delivery including design, release, ECR/ER in line with engineering timing release Strategy (ETRS) requirements, development, and validation plans.
- Support Robust concerns resolution.
- Vehicle build & development support.
The ideal experience for the Design Engineer – Electric Drive Systems and HV Cabling:
- A good level of technical knowledge & experience of EDT design, test & production delivery.
- Excellent EDT mechanical design, packaging & release preferred.
- Good CATIA V5 2D/3D skills with GD&T application experience.
- Understanding of Inverters, eMotors, Chargers, DCDC convertors, Functional Safety and High Voltage harnessing.
- Design / implementation high or low voltage electrical distribution systems within the EDT System
- Support execution of EDT DVPs, FMEA and DFM plans.
- Experienced in OEM or tier one component delivery.
Qualifications and Training
- Mechanical, Electrical/Electronic or Automotive Engineering Degree.
The ideal Design Engineer – Electric Drive Systems and HV Cabling candidate:
- Technical knowledge in Hybrid Electrical System engineering.
- Good team skills, willingness to work cross-functionally with excellent communication skills.
- 1-2 years automotive design and development experience.
- Good component design and development knowledge.
- Support component release management and problem solving.
- An ability to deliver under pressure with an appetite for measured success.
- A passion for high performance EDT engineering.
- Collaborative working with ESS Energy Storage Systems), EDC (Electric Drive Controls) teams to deliver world class Hybrid Systems.
To show your interest in the Design Engineer – Electric Drive Systems and HV Cabling role please Apply Now with a copy of your CV, should you be successfully shortlisted a member of our Team will contact you to discuss the role in more detail. All applications are treated in the strictest confidence.