Conveyance EngineerApply Now
Salary: £25 - 26 per hour
Location: Solihull, West Midlands
Job Type: Contract
Date Listed: 10 Mar 2021
Role: Conveyance Engineer
Contract type: Ongoing contract
Salary: £25.00-£26.00 per hour
The role is the conveyance engineer for Manufacturing Engineering and will be responsible for all aspect’s product or component related conveyance through the various production stages of automotive manufacture.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsible for supporting the development of the Conveyance strategy and specification and its dissemination across all technologies within manufacturing, via the technology forums. The strategy will be developed to include, but not limited to: -
- Responsible for the design of the full conveyance system including structural support steelwork, conveyance steelwork, drive, chain systems, product carriers, power distribution, tensioning and lubrication systems where applicable. The full system integration and controls strategy. This also includes conveyance methods such as AGV and future technologies.
- Macro planning: planning of routes that will minimise costs and maximise efficiency. Work closely with the structural engineer to develop systems that provide the necessary conveyance in the shops. Develop standards for the various conveyance elements and source those either internally or externally based on business case. Benchmark these against external and internal benchmarks. Develop reliability models for the equipment and run continuous improvement. Seek to the simplest design to deliver the required customer requirement. Work with the workshop to select design elements that minimise cost. Seek to use appropriate materials to deliver the required function. Work with the Controls Group to develop controls interfaces for the conveyance elements. Work with layout and Facility Engineers to develop layouts and BIM models to support the integration on time. Work with customers like maintenance to develop maintainability aspects. Maintain design models for the equipment in a library.
- Play a key role in helping develop a Conveyance design and validation strategy, compliant of all regulatory and statutory requirements which will form a Conveyance Standard for Jaguar Land Rover. Include all elements of safety and performance related items. These include: Principal designer, standards for manufacture and installation as well as site setup, project and installation management, commissioning, client acceptance (Can We Make - CWM) and the ongoing maintenance strategy. Play your part in the total cost ownership of power consumption across all sites and generate year on year plans to drive down energy costs.
Project & Site Management –
- Responsible, as part of the wider team, for the complete management from the initial concept, cost analysis, initial and detailed design (hardware & software), site setup, operational on-site management (R&MS, supervision, snagging, commissioning and handover) and ongoing client liaison
- Be a contributing stakeholder in the development of the Manufacturing Operating System for Project Management. This is the standard operating system of how we project manage projects, including approach, procedures, how we manage timing, contractors, the design, manufacture, installation, commissioning and handover phases.
Manufacture & Installation –
- Responsible for the Make vs Buy strategy for all Conveyance system manufacture (in-house or via a contractor), site installation.
- Define in the Conveyance Strategy our approach to make vs buy, particularly to AGV and future technologies. What will be insource and what will be bought externally. Define what Conveyance systems/control systems we will use for what, how this will remain open to drive competitiveness and not lock us in to any one supplier. Define clear standards that make our systems competitive and not over engineered but equally resilient to achieve the required uptime availability.
- Responsible for the Conveyance system testing and commissioning to achieve the customer requirements for SQDCPE, MTR/MTF as well as all appropriate regulation / standard, completing with the fully detailed CE fie to enable marking.
Spares Strategy - Develop in conjunction with the wider ME team a spare parts strategy for the company. This may be via a third-party involvement or back to holding critical spares but must look to consolidate spares across the company.
Maintenance Strategy - Working with the wider ME team develop a maintenance strategy.
- Minimum of 5-years demonstrable experience in Conveyance, the design, installation and commissioning of such systems which must include systems such as power and free, EMS, slat, overhead and floor, roller beds and belt conveyor system.
- Sound commercial acumen and cost awareness with the ability to add value and minimise cost.
- The ability to plan ahead, organise workload, work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Relevant previous experience of maintaining and installing Production automation equipment.
- Experience of managing multi-skilled teams in multi-shift operations in both a Manufacturing/Maintenance as well as contractors/contract labour in a construction environment.
- Experience in managing external service providers.
- Proven experience of vehicle build and delivery processes and procedures.
- Thorough understanding of Engineering/Manufacturing Processes, Tools and Techniques.
- Demonstrable and experience in the application of a logical approach to Problem Solving.
- Working knowledge and experience of delivering safety metrics and the understanding safety systems applicable to plant & equipment.
- Proven ability to work within tight deadlines & be able to manage and prioritise multiple activities simultaneously.
- Experience and working knowledge of Health and Safety and ergonomics including risk assessments.
- Ability to make short presentations to work groups and senior management
- Relevant degree or equivalent experience preferred in a mechanical discipline.
- Demonstrable knowledge of Legislative and Industry Standards in Automotive
- Microsoft package elements Power Point and Excel
- Thorough Understanding and Application of Lean Tools and Techniques
- Experience working in a fast-paced manufacturing environment
- Proven Project Management Experience
- Experience of working in partnership with a Trade Union