Controls and Automation EngineerApply Now
Salary: Market related
Location: Brackley, Northamptonshire
Job Type: Permanent
Date Listed: 28 Nov 2018
Apex Recruitment are currently recruiting for a Controls and Automation Engineer for a specialist high performance engineering consultancy based in Brackley. This permanent opportunity will be suited towards Control Engineers who want to experience a wide range of Control and Automation projects.
Role: Control and Automation Engineer
Location: Brackley, NN13
About the role:
- Working independently on small projects or as part of a team on our larger projects. Your prime role will be to work on special purpose machine design but as a high-performance engineering consultancy you may be exposed to other areas of our business such as high-performance sports and automotive projects. The role would appeal to someone who wants to experience a wide range of control and automation projects.
- We use Beckhoff as our primary control system supplier and experience with Beckhoff is preferred. The preferred design topology is centralised PLC control with motion using the MC Open motion function blocks.
Design, Development, Integration and Testing:
- Design, development, and integration of automation and controls systems
- Testing and validation of such systems
- Working closely with Engineers from other disciplines to ensure the machines fulfil their purpose
- Being accountable for automation and control designs, inclusive of PLC programming and HMI.
- Analysing user requirements to design the functional specifications and operation of the automation system.
- Testing of automation systems.
- Providing technical guidance and support to the system design and build team.
- Providing support to the customer at SAT and after installation.
- Provide detailed documentation upon build completion.
- Specification of automation equipment
- Understanding control equipment and software on all production equipment.
Person Specification: Core competencies and experience.
- Applicants will preferably have a degree or equivalent in engineering or a related discipline. We will consider applicants with an HND in engineering or related discipline. We will also consider individuals with equivalent experience/combined education such as completion of an Apprenticeship or progression from a hands-on role.
- All applicants are required to have;
- Strong programming skills in two or more languages
- The use of PLCs in ST language (IEC61131-3) is essential, ST is the primary programming language used at the company and should be the candidates preferred PLC language.
- Programming experience in another non-PLC is preferred to show the candidates versatility.
- An affinity for the latest technology
- Knowledge and experience of industrial automation, including PLC and motion control – in particular experience with Beckhoff is preferred.
- Relevant industry experience in industrial machine control and automation.
- The ability to design software and control solutions from the ground up and not just implement from specification.
- Knowledge of general engineering principles
- Knowledge of software development best practices including separation of concerns and the SOLID principle.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Confidence in the use of MS-Office applications
- Additional Skills:
- Awareness of source control techniques – GIT is preferred.
- Knowledge/interest of the Internet of Things / Industry 4.0
- Knowledge or previous use of Mechanical or Electrical CAD may be beneficial
Experience & Qualifications:
- Applicants will preferably have a degree or equivalent in engineering or a related discipline. We will consider applicants with an HND in engineering or related discipline
- Reporting to the Senior Engineer you will work independently on small projects or as part of a team on our larger projects. Your prime role will be to work on special purpose machine design but as a high-performance engineering consultancy you may be exposed to other areas of our business such as high-performance sports and automotive projects.
- The role would appeal to someone with an inclination to programming and software and who wants to experience a wide range of control and automation projects.
- Our client use Beckhoff as their primary control system supplier and experience with Beckhoff would be an advantage. This role is suited to someone with relevant industry experience, but we will consider an exceptional graduate.
- The role may require you to work out of main office hours or to travel around the UK or abroad and spend periods of time with our customers off site.
- Whilst every effort has been made to explain the main duties and responsibilities of the post, each individual task undertaken may not be identified.
- Employees will be expected to comply with any reasonable request from a manager to undertake work of a similar level that is not specified in this job description.
Opportunities for Career Development
- Our client is a small but growing business. For someone with the right “can do” attitude, technical skill and initiative there may be future opportunities within the business
For more information please call Luke Munday on 01926 424 154 or email email@example.com If this sounds like your ideal role please click Apply Now!
Remember! We have an attractive referral scheme of up to £350 for all successful referrals.